Sunday, December 5, 2010

Go Aggies!!

Back in November Kevin, the girls, and I had the chance to go see the UC Davis Aggies women's team play #13 ranked UCLA. Although they didn't win we had a great time cheering them on. I was reminded how old I was because all the players that I have played with are now long gone! It was really special to bring both my daughters to the game and have the coaching staff meet them. Sandy and I have always had a great relationship, first as a coach-player and now as friends. He has always been so supportive and cheered me on in whatever I was doing in life.
A couple of seasons ago he even brought the whole team to my school for Dr.Seuss' birthday. We have a huge week in school called "Read Across America" where we invite people in the community to come and read to our classes. When I told Sandy about this he told me the Aggs were in! The team, dressed in red and white hats created by my class, all read in different grades at my school. At the end of our time together we did the traditional Aggie cheer and my class was able to show off on how they learned to run suicides. (Yes I taught my 4th graders how to run lines... and to think they thought it was fun).  Here are fun pictures from that day!



To have the whole team out at my school where I taught was so special and I don't know many coaches who would have made the drive out in between shoot arounds to make this happen. That really meant a lot to me and something that I will never forget. Being an Aggie is special. Unless you have experienced the madness of a bike circle, eating at the Silo, or trying to solve that Aggie crossword puzzle you have not lived. Being down in Southern California whenever you see any UCD apparel, license plate, or sticker you always stop and smile, its so corny but its true! Some of my best friends were met up there both on and off the court and of course its where I met Kevin! I can't wait to return to Davis in the new year and hear the marching Band-ahh, see old friends, and celebrate Sandy's retirement. Davis was my home for 5 wonderful years and who knows maybe my family will make our way back up there someday! But one thing is for sure... I can only hope that my girls have a coach like I did! In no way shape or form will this man below ever teach our kids basketball! It won't happen !!
Maybe I will make my coaching debut and bring back the magic!
and teach my girls how to drive...
and shoot!
Only time will tell :) But I am very thankful for the coaches that I have had in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. You forgot to mention s very special guest who came up to visit you freshman year and go see the WWF!! :) I know you loved being in Davis and your experiences playing ball. I also know Sandy was someone very special in your life. : )

    ReplyDelete